Tuesday, July 19, 2011

My Turquoise Project

So, here is what I am doing with my hand dyed yarn. I tried out a few patterns, but since I don't usually knit with tonal/variegated yarns, it took a while to find something I was happy with. And, I think this really looks great, as the colors are interesting, plus the pattern really brings out the softness and squishiness of a DK weight merino.
This shawl might remind you of the Icelandic Sunrise Shawl, and at first, that was what I tried to knit. But, the purling part was not coming smooth to me and it was a bit of a struggle. I admit, I did not try the Norwegian Purl method, I went for a more easy option. So, my version doesn't have a single purl stitch in it, and each cluster has 5 stitches instead of 4. The effect though is very similar, shawl will be very very warm, it looks interesting and has a great texture. One minor problem - I ran out of yarn. Yes, I used both skeins and I still have a couple rows I'd like to do for finishing and a FRINGE. I think this one really needs a fringe for a nice, finished look. So, I am up to a challenge to repeat my dyeing adventure... we'll see how that goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment